DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LAWYERS IN CALIFORNIA
Get a strong Los Angeles domestic abuse attorney on your side
Whether you allowed your emotions to take over and have made threats or attempts to physically harm another person, or a bystander to your argument called the police unnecessarily, you will most likely be arrested for domestic violence. California law requires police to make an arrest when they are called to any domestic disturbance. Fighting these charges also involves fighting an automatic negative bias against you, and it is vital to retain a skilled, experienced and diligent criminal defense attorney to defend you.
At The Law Offices of James Lochead, we have experience handling domestic violence and domestic abuse cases, which has equipped us with the skills to provide the reliable legal representation you need. From start to finish, we examine the circumstances of your arrest, talk to witnesses and build an effective defense that may help you secure the optimal result possible against your domestic violence charge.
What is domestic violence?
In California, domestic violence is defined as any act or threatened act of violence upon someone with whom the accused has had an intimate relationship. This means individuals do not have to be married in order to be charged with domestic violence – parents, step-parents, roommates, partners or anyone residing in the same household can be accused of domestic violence crimes. The following acts are considered domestic violence in California:
- Actual or threatened physical harm
- Sexual assault
- Sexual battery
- Statutory rape
- Criminal harassment, such as threatening letters or phone calls
- Pushing, hitting, slapping, choking, kicking or biting
Experienced lawyers fighting to preserve your rights
Clients charged with domestic violence face serious consequences:
- Prison sentence
- Permanent restraining order
- Inability to return to your house
- Inability to see your children
- Difficulty finding or keeping a job
- Difficulty finding or keeping an apartment
- Mandatory enrollment in a domestic violence treatment program
- If an immigrant, loss of immigrant privileges
- Inability to possess firearms
At The Law Offices of James Lochead, we can guide you through the necessary steps to protect yourself and keep the situation from getting worse.
Don’t delay, contact us today.